Your lagoon is designed to build up sludge. Proper management is key.
- Lagoons are designed to store sludge, but they all need maintenance eventually.
- Typically, sludge must be removed every 20 years.
- Lagoons don’t require the frequent dewatering and disposal of sludge, which can offer significant cost savings
- Sludge can be reduced in place without dredging, extending the length between cleanings.
Problems excess sludge causes
- High effluent BOD/TSS
- Lagoon odors
- Floating sludge
- Benthal feedback of nutrients
- Low lagoon dissolved oxygen
Sludge has volatile and non volatile components
- Complex organics
- Dead biomass
- Mostly bacteria
- Dead algae or duckweed
Non Volatile Sludge:
- Sand and grit
- Other non-organics
- Sulfate Reducing Bacteria
- Good for: reducing sludge blanket
- Bad: odor, septicity
More efficiency. More mixing.
Adding Mixing & Aeration can reduce sludge in place
- Multiple sludge reduction studies have been conducted with dual action coarse and fine bubble technology utilized by the Ares.
- Simply by providing more mixing and oxygen to lagoons, sludge can be reduced in place.
- Average level of sludge reduction is 45–50%.
Related Blog Posts
Excess wastewater lagoon sludge may be due to age or poor mixing. The result can be high levels of BOD, TSS and ammonia effluents, odor and lagoon turnover.
Excess lagoon sludge impacts the quality of treatment by releasing BOD and ammonia back into the water column. Our video blog explains it all.
Download the Ares Aeration brochure.
Learn how the superior mixing and aerating power of Ares keeps sludge in check.
Whether you’re looking for a sludge solution for your lagoon or just have a quick question about algae, we’re here for you.
We want to be your #1 resource for all things wastewater lagoons. If we can help you, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
We pledge to provide all our customers with the most authentic, long-term solution available. These solutions are built on the shoulders of more than 30 years of professional wastewater engineering experience. Our commitments to excellence, sound research, adaptability, and environmental consciousness separate Triplepoint from our competition.
We stand behind our products and processes. Every installation is backed by our Technology Performance Guarantee: We guarantee that our equipment will do what we say it will do.