Aeration accounts for majority of lagoon operating costs
Upgrading to more efficient aeration represents the largest potential for system optimization and cost savings.
Fundamentals of Aeration
“The purpose of aeration is two-fold:
- to supply the required oxygen to the metabolizing microorganisms and
- to provide mixing so that the microorganisms come into intimate contact with the dissolved and suspended organic matter.”
EPA Factsheet on Fine Bubble Aeration (1999)
Oxygen Transfer Efficiency
- Aeration options available to lagoons vary in relative efficiency based on clean water testing.
- Fine bubble is among the most efficient technologies, with coarse bubble and surface aeration being the least efficient.
- However, lagoon fine bubble systems can struggle to properly mix the entire lagoon due to sheer volume of water.
Energy efficiency is important but don’t forget about mixing
- The level of mixing in your lagoon determines how well the metabolizing microorganisms come into contact with the food (BOD).
- As a result, the level of mixing determines how much can be treated and how quickly.
- The higher the mixing rate, the faster the treatment.
More efficiency. More mixing.
Using Variable Frequency Drives can also limit energy consumption
- Variable frequency drives have been used for decades to control the speed of motors.
- The ability to slow a motor down when it is not needed saves on energy.
- As most wastewater systems are designed with more capacity than they typically see, the aeration system is oversized.
- Oxygen demand in summer is higher than in winter due to microbial activity; therefore, most lagoons can be operated with less power in the winter.
Related Blog Posts
Many aerated lagoons are overbuilt. Learn how optimizing an aerated lagoon for current conditions can reduce energy costs.
Our video outlines the different measures of efficiency and how various aeration technologies measure up.
In order to design a system that yields efficient lagoon aeration, you must know the factors that affect efficiency.
Download the Ares Aeration brochure.
Learn how Ares provides superior lagoon aeration, reduces maintenance, and increases efficiency.
Whether you’re looking for an ammonia solution for your lagoon or just have a quick question about algae, we’re here for you.
We want to be your #1 resource for all things wastewater lagoons. If we can help you, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
We pledge to provide all our customers with the most authentic, long-term solution available. These solutions are built on the shoulders of more than 30 years of professional wastewater engineering experience. Our commitments to excellence, sound research, adaptability, and environmental consciousness separate Triplepoint from our competition.
We stand behind our products and processes. Every installation is backed by our Technology Performance Guarantee: We guarantee that our equipment will do what we say it will do.