Odors are your lagoon’s way of telling you something.
Lagoon odors can be an indication of:
- Anaerobic digestion of organics leading to hydrogen sulfide production.
- Low dissolved oxygen
- Excessive sludge buildup on the bottom
- Overloading of BOD/TKN
When you have lagoon odor, sooner or later other problems surface.
- Floating sludge on the surface of the lagoon
- High effluent BOD/TSS/TKN/TP
- Septic conditions within the lagoon
- High fecal coliform
Common causes of lagoon odor
- Lack of dissolved oxygen due to broken or ineffective aeration
- Seasonal lagoon turnover
- Overloading of high strength wastewater, typically from an industrial source
- Sludge buildup over the life of the lagoon
Proper aeration can eliminate lagoon odors overnight
- Aeration promotes the growth of aerobic bacteria, which create odorless carbon dioxide and quickly break down any organics that are overloading the lagoon.
- Oxygen in the water column oxidizes odorous gases, eliminating foul smells.
- Increased mixing helps to destratify the water column, preventing turnover.
- Proper mixing can reduce the sludge blanket.
More efficiency. More mixing.
Adding Mixing & Aeration can reduce sludge in place
- Multiple sludge reduction studies have been conducted with dual action coarse and fine bubble technology utilized by the Ares.
- Simply by providing more mixing and oxygen to lagoons, sludge can be reduced in place.
- Average level of sludge reduction is 45–50%.
Related Blog Posts
A healthy wastewater lagoon won’t cause odor complaints. Learn what common lagoon odors can reveal about lagoon health.
Lagoons don’t have to be smelly. This video blog reveals how to diagnose lagoon problems by odor and offers several solutions for lagoon odor issues.
Turnover can cause spring lagoon odors. How well do solar, wind, or grid powered lagoon circulators work to prevent them?
Download the Ares Aeration brochure.
Learn how Ares provides superior lagoon aeration, reduces maintenance, and increases efficiency.
Whether you’re looking for a solution for your lagoon odor problem or just have a quick question about algae, we’re here for you.
We want to be your #1 resource for all things wastewater lagoons. If we can help you, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
Proven performance. Guaranteed results.
We pledge to provide all our customers with the most authentic, long-term solution available. These solutions are built on the shoulders of more than 30 years of professional wastewater engineering experience. Our commitments to excellence, sound research, adaptability, and environmental consciousness separate Triplepoint from our competition.
We stand behind our products and processes. Every installation is backed by our Technology Performance Guarantee: We guarantee that our equipment will do what we say it will do.